BASEMENT ROMA is a non-profit organization and a self-sustained exhibition space run by CURA.
It’s located, since its establishment in 2012, in the hidden basement of the magazine’s editorial office in the heart of the Prati district in Rome.
BASEMENT ROMA is devoted to experimentation, discussion and the production of exhibition projects, presentations, lectures, and publishing ventures in collaboration with artists, curators, independent and institutional actors.
The exhibitions program is mainly focused on a new generation of international artists who have never been exhibited in town or even in Italy before.
BASEMENT ROMA’s program also encourages:
• an exchange of space with worldwide independent organizations.
• a residency program aiming to welcome to Rome not only artists and curators but also publishers, writers and independents actors of the international scene.
• an outdoor program, run by CURA. as an extension of BASEMENT ROMA, that operates as a curators’ collective in the organisation of exhibitions and events in collaboration with museums, art galleries, foundations, institutional and independent spaces.
• a nomadic soul aiming to develop an international franchise of small curatorial and editorial off-site branches.
• an independent bookshop featuring rare artists books, editions and international independent publishing houses.
Founding Director and Curator
Founding director and curator SALTS, Birsfelden, Switzerland
JOÃO MOURÃO & LUÍS SILVA
Co-founders and Co-directors Kunsthalle Lissabon, Lisbon
Co-founder and co-director
Lulu, Mexico City
Founding director and curator
Collezione Agovino Napoli
Pro Helvetia (Fondazione svizzera per la cultura)
Fondazione Giuliani, Rome
Via Nicola Ricciotti, 4
00195 Roma, Italy
+39 06 9435 8667
Monday to Friday 2–7pm
and by appointment
Art Direction & Design